Odice Lawyers

How to homologate your driving licence in Spain 2023


It is necessary to validate your driving licence if you are a foreigner and want to drive on Spanish roads. That is why, in this article, we will explain the steps you must take, whether you can validate it directly, or if you have to pass the driving test to obtain the Spanish permit.

Are driving licences validated between EU countries?

Licences issued in countries of the European Union and the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) are valid for driving in Spain and no test is required, as long as they meet the following requirements:

  • The driving licence must be within the period of validity in your home country.
  • The driver must be of the minimum legal age to drive in Spain.

In addition, it is important to note that the exchange is mandatory at the end of six months as soon as legal residence in Spain is obtained.

If, for any reason, any of these conditions are not met and you want to get your driving licence approved in Spain, you will have to take a test and pass the test the relevant tests (theory test, practical test and psycho-technical test).

Which countries have an agreement with Spain for the homologation of driving licences?

If your driving licence is issued by non-EU third countriesIf there is a bilateral or multilateral international agreement for the exchange of driving licences in Spain, it will be necessary to check whether there is an international agreement, either bilateral or multilateral, for the exchange of driving licences in Spain.

The DGT periodically updates the list of countries with which Spain has signed a driving licence exchange agreement. You can consult the countries with an agreement at this link.

In terms of requirements, the situation is the same as in EU countries, and the time limit for the exchange will also be 6 months after obtaining legal residence in Spain. (if you go as a tourist -Schengen visa- you cannot stay more than 90 days in a period of 180 days in Spain).

If you exceed this time, you will have to take a practical test in order to obtain your exchange.

Procedures for the homologation of driving licences

To homologate your driving licence, as long as you belong to one of the groups mentioned in the two previous points, you will need to make an appointment at the DGT and go on the chosen day with the following documentation:

  • Original of the foreign permit to be exchanged
  • Original and copy of ID card, passport or residence card.
  • Foreign residence card at the time of obtaining the foreign permit, or certificate of non-residence for tax purposes in Spain at that time.
  • Driver's psycho-technical report, which will be of one type or another, depending on whether or not the type of licence to be exchanged requires practical tests.
  • Proof of payment of the traffic tax for the exchange.

homologating a driving licence in Spain

Which countries do not have an agreement with Spain for the homologation of driving licences?

If your country is not a member of the European Union or the European Economic Area and you need to drive a car in Spain, you will have to obtain a new Spanish driving licence as a compulsory requirement..

In order to do so, it will be necessary to undergo the theoretical and practical tests mentioned and available for consultation at this link.

You should bear in mind that if you are already legally resident in Spain and you obtain your driving licence abroad, or if the licence was obtained as an exchange from another country with which Spain does not have an agreement, you will not be able to exchange it either. 

Immigration Lawyer in Malaga

As we have seen, homologating a driving licence in Spain, like any other regularisation procedure in the country, can be complicated and time-consuming.

Something you can save yourself with our legal advice for foreigners in Malaga. At Ódice Abogados, we will resolve this and other matters related to Immigration and Foreigners' Affairs in the best possible way. Contact us and we will answer you as soon as possible!


Other Articles

Do you need legal advice and representation? At Ódice Abogados, a law firm in Malaga, we offer different means of communication so that you can contact us.