Odice Lawyers

Residence permit for family roots in Spain


The residence permit for family ties is a temporary residence permit granted to foreign nationals who are in Spain due to exceptional circumstances: being the father or mother of a minor of Spanish nationality, or being the child of a father or mother who is originally Spanish.

In this article by Ódice Abogados, lawyers specialising in Immigration Law in Malaga, we'll tell you everything you need to know about how to start the process of residence permit for family roots in Spain.

Requirements for family roots in Spain

In addition to the aforementioned - being the father or mother of a minor of Spanish nationality, or the child of a father or mother who was originally Spanish -, the following requirements must be met in order to be able to be a Spanish national, or to be a child of a parent who was originally Spanish.onserving a residence permit for family roots in Spain:

  • Not be a citizen of a European Union StateEuropean Economic Area or Swiss nationals, or family members of nationals of these countries to whom the Union citizenship scheme applies.
  • No criminal record in Spain and in their previous countries of residence for offences under Spanish law.
  • Not be banned from entering Spain and not appear as rejectable in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement to this effect.
  • Not to be foundwhere applicable, within the time limit of commitment not to return to Spain that the foreigner has assumed when returning voluntarily to his or her country of origin.

Renewal of family roots in Spain

Sometimes, we find people who have obtained a residence permit for family ties without any problem, but it has been impossible to renew it and they are automatically transferred to a residence permit for family ties. irregular situation (without a residence or stay authorisation).

The most frequent reason is not having been registered with the Social Security and, in order to renew the residence permit for family ties, it is necessary to fulfil one of these requirements:

  • Continue with the employment relationship that gave rise to the granting of the authorisation whose renewal is sought.
  • Have been in employment for at least six months per year and:
    • You have signed a new employment contract and are in a registered or equivalent situation at the time of the application, or
    • Have a new contract that guarantees the worker's employment activity and with the start of its validity conditional on the granting of the renewal.
  • Have carried out the activity for a minimum of three months per year provided that:
    • The employment relationship which gave rise to the authorisation was interrupted for reasons beyond the employee's control.
    • You have actively sought employment by registering with the competent Public Employment Service as a jobseeker.
    • Have a valid employment contract.
  • Be in receipt of a contributory unemployment benefit.
  • Be a beneficiary of a public economic assistance benefit aimed at achieving their social or employment integration.
  • The employment relationship has been terminated or suspended as a result of the worker being a victim of gender-based violence.
  • Have been working and registered with Social Security for at least nine months in a twelve-month period, or eighteen months in a twenty-four-month period, provided that:
    • The last employment relationship was interrupted for reasons beyond the employee's control.
    • You have been actively seeking employment.
  • The worker's spouse or unmarried partner has sufficient financial means to bring the worker together.

Lawyer for foreigners for family roots in Málaga

Many people obtain their first permit in Spain through the Residence Authorisation for Exceptional Circumstances, specifically through the Arraigo Familiar.

This is an important procedure for your future in Spain and it must be done correctly for it to be valid. So, before you start, count on a team of experts in the field: take advice from our lawyers specialising in immigration law in MalagaWe will provide you with all the information related to your family roots.

Fill in our contact form to start processing your residence permit. 


Other Articles

Do you need legal advice and representation? At Ódice Abogados, a law firm in Malaga, we offer different means of communication so that you can contact us.